About Me

My photo
I am a farmer's wife,runner and a mother of two boys. I help my husband with our farming business. I did my first marathon in October 2010 and loved every minute of it. I'm now looking to do my 4th marathon in Little Rock, AR

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Physical Therapy Rocks & CSN Winner



     Physical Therapy Rocks.  

     On Wednesday I went to see a Physical Therapist, because I haven't been  able to run without pain in my hip and  back.   The Therapist evaluated the  problems I was having. She than  asked me to put my hands behind my head and bend to the right and  walk a straight line down and back. You would of thought I was drunk, I couldn't walk a straight  line. I was all over the place.   She said my hip flexors were tight and my hips were rotated.  I needed to do some stretching exercises for my hip flexors and also work on my core muscles.  My stomach muscle were weak. I will admit after I ran the Marathon in October I have not been very good about doing my core workouts.


    The Therapist  had me get up on the table, than she stretched my hip flexors and hamstrings out.  Boy they were tight.  She sent me home with  some exercises to do twice a day.  She wants to see  me next Wednesday to see how I am doing.  She doesn't want me doing  any running for a couple of days.  I thought what the heck, I haven't ran for 8 days already what's another couple of days.  Here are the exercises she gave me to work on .




      On Thursday I was feeling alittle sore from all of the stretching she did. So  I decided I would just  do a Pilate's tape to  strenghten my core and lengthen my muscles.   I could tell my core muscles were weak.

     Friday I thought I would do the  Pilate's tape again and add 30 minutes on the Elliptical.  I really worked on holding my stomach muscle tight while I was on the Elliptical.   A little sore right after the Elliptical, but by the end of the day was feeling pretty good.
     So, this morning I really wanted to try running on the treadmill to see how it was going to go.  I was hoping for 3 miles.   Before my run I wanted to do some Yoga to get my muscles stretched and more flexible. Now, I remember  why I'm not a fan of Yoga, it kicked my butt.  It's harder than it looks.  Time to get on the treadmill, my goal is 3 miles at a slow pace.  I did 3 miles at 5.0 on the treadmill.  I know that is not fast, but wanted to start back into it slow.
Stock photo : Running In The Gym
I wish I looked this good running on a treadmill.

      Boy it felt so good just to be running. I don't know how to explain it, but when I was running this morning on the treadmill it felt so different. Looking back it seemed that my right leg would fatigue faster.  I think my hips have been rotated so long, which than made my hip flexor tight, that it felt normal to me. Because,  I noticed this  morning when  I was running I keep wanting to pull my right  hip forward.

Finally, things are looking up. What a great feeling.


3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I'm so excited! Thank you!

    Congrats on the run! Starting out slow is a great idea, don't want to push it too hard too fast. All about being able to run for a long time than to run fast right away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, i love your new prof pic--I can see you!!

    So, so so glad you are improving and can run again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you finally got to run! Feel better!

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are inspiring to me. Love hearing your feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...