About Me

My photo
I am a farmer's wife,runner and a mother of two boys. I help my husband with our farming business. I did my first marathon in October 2010 and loved every minute of it. I'm now looking to do my 4th marathon in Little Rock, AR

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Beef Expo and Long run

Had a great time at the Iowa Beef Expo last weekend.  Parker ended up getting 5th in his class.  He was showing  a breeding  heifer.  Last fall the boys decided to put their money  together and buy a  heifer to show at the Expo and  the County fair. They are hoping to show it at several other shows this summer to.  


TEAM WORK
I'm not a big picture taker, but when it comes to my boys, I tend to do a little better.   Friday we got to visit with Parker's girlfriends parents.  They have 3 kids and all  3 of them were doing Showmanship.  Parker decided not to do Showmanship.


Cody, Marrissa and Parker's girlfriend MacKenzie

 Showmanship  is the one area of exhibiting beef cattle over which you have the most control. In showmanship, you are judged on your abilities to control and present your steer or heifer to bring out its best characteristics. Advanced planning and hard work are the key to becoming a good show person. Showing beef cattle not only generates enthusiasm and competition in the show ring, but also teaches valuable lessons that can be used in day to day life. These lessons include responsibility, learning about work and determination to reach a goal, winning graciously and losing with dignity.   


Mackenzie showing her steer for Showmanship

Saturday we got to skip the Expo, due to one of the animals not getting registered right. That meant that no one was showing on Saturday 'Yes'.  I was kind of happy about that, because my running partner was doing a long run with the girls and I really want to join them. I've been so busy lately  that I haven't been able go with Rachelle and run with the girls.


Tide to Go Instant Stain RemoverWas super excited about running with the girls.  Rachele and I drove into DSM and parked at the bike trail.  Our plan was to run 6 miles together, than meet up with the other girls and do another 6, with them.  It was a chilly start, but no wind 'YES'.  We got about 2 1/2 miles out and wouldn't you know it I get a freakin bloody nose. I've been having them lately on my runs.  I normally can get them stopped without stopping , but not this morning.  My bloody  nose actually  felt like it was getting heavier. I didn't have a choice I had to stop and take care of my bloody nose. I told Rachele to go on I would catch up with her.  Thank goodness for the paper towel that I always carry when I run, otherwise I might of been in a pickle.   It took several minutes before I finally got it stopped.   I ended up getting blood on my white shoe that I just washed  the night before because I  stepped in a water puddle the other morning.  I was not happy, blood stains "Are you kidding me".  Blood Stains  are hard to get out.  As soon as I got back to the car I pulled out my trusty Tide Pen and worked on those blood spots. I don't go anywhere without my trusty Tide Pen.  

The girls were waiting for us when we got back to the car.   I got another paper towel and took a drink and than we were off for another 6 miles.  It was so much fun running with the girls. I loved all the conversation we were having during our run.  It made the run go by so  much faster. 

Sunday we all got up around 4:30. Mike and the boys took off for the Expo and I got the cooler packed and my bag full of goodies.  Picked up my sister at the park and ride and than off to the Expo.   Cody and Marrissa showed right after we got there.  Their animals placed 6th and 7th.  After they showed we had to wait a while before it was time for Parker  to show   The  boys were working really  hard to get the heifer ready.  That heifer was getting  pampered more than me. 

The heifer stayed calm the whole time Parker was showing it. That is always a fear, that your animal will act up while you are showing. Their was  a lot of animals that were really antsy and were getting away from the kids.  I felt so sorry for the little kids that were showing and their animals were literally dragging them  around the ring.   Those little kids  were hanging  on for  dear life. I learned something new this year.  If your animal gets away from you twice your disqualified.  I had not heard that one before. 


Parker's heifer got 5th in it's class

      Don't forget to entry my Pride Socks Giveaway -ends 2/26

                                          Do you carry a Tide Pen with you?

                                          Does your children show animals?

9 comments:

  1. I have to say I learned some new things today! I'm such a suburban girl that this is all foreign to me. The kids all look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool experience the beef expo was--that prize heifer is kind of handsome! I do not carry a Tide pen but I probably should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up on a farm and raised cows my entire life but the whole show steer and show heifer world was an eye opener in college. A little heifer I nicknamed Bertha was not having any part of Showmanship anything and was brutal to work with!

    Congrats to Parker for placing 5th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think maybe I should carry a Tide pen! Great job to Parker and his heifer getting 5th. I hope someday my kids will show at the fair. It can be so fun for them and they learn so much. I named my first steer that I showed Herman. He was sweet and wonderfully easy to handle. Every steer after that I named Herman also because I could remember the name easily. Except my last steer..his name was Shithead. I bought him at a club calf sale and he came with that name. He definitely deserved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awww! i love this! sounds like it was a family event and your children did so well + everyone had a blast! great run...sorry to hear about the bloody nose but definitely impressed with how prepared you were...I would have been in that pickle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came across your blog. Really enjoyed what I've read so far. My boys show hogs. We live in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my husband did that all through jr high and high school...he loved showing animals. he was in FFA and loved it! congrats to your son on 5th!

    you are making me excited for the Houston Rodeo this week...we can't wait to bring the boys, they love it every year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am pretty sure my boyfriend used to do this in his youth and was quite the bad ass!!! I'm gonna have to ask him about it again and get the deets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe... beauty of a cow you've got :) No wind? jealous! I hope your bloody nose goes away :)

    ReplyDelete

All your comments are inspiring to me. Love hearing your feedback.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...